Skip to main content

Sticks and Stones

I’ve had my ups and downs in life just like everyone else.  Everyone asks how I stay so positive during blow after blow of bad news. Some people have asked me if I have “mourned” yet. And up until recently I have not entirely understood what I needed to mourn.  I have also read blog after blog about how people say the craziest things to people with cancer.   And again I didn’t understand that until recently, either. 

Working in the disability field I'm used to subtly correcting people because people truly don’t know what to say in an uncomfortable situation.  But recently, I have heard the most hurtful things that even I couldn't push aside.  Of course I tried, but after a month I finally broke down.

I'm strong, I'm a Capricorn. We are strong, confident people for the most part. But I'm not indestructible, and I can feel.  I mean, I feel all the time!  I feel fear, sadness, loss, disappointment, and so much more. I’m just great at hiding these things. But it’s getting to a point where it’s time to show this side of cancer.

Before cancer, I held off having kids because I wanted to get married and be ready.  I knew that there is not a perfect time to have kids, but this was definitely something Martin & I were planning in the near future.  Then I got breast cancer. I tried so hard to preserve my eggs in hopes that when I beat this I would still be able to have kids.  I had all the pre-shots and an action plan. Then I was magically upgraded to Stage 4 days before we were starting the egg preservation shots. I went through months where I prepared myself for death. Things are a little better now. So, it’s not surprising I'm now needing to mourn my loss.

I lost my fertility.  I will not have kids. Cancer is not all butterflies, but it truly is battled in the face of unimaginable losses.

So when – a few weeks ago during a heated conversation – the words, “why did he marry her anyway when she can’t even have kids” passed the lips of someone, I tried to not let it affect me.  But now, after a few weeks, I cannot get the words out of my head.  Why?  Why not just let it go?  Life is so short; why let THAT bring me down?  Well, because they were more than just words. Those words made my whole picture complete – in the sense of THIS SUCKS! 

I usually hold my head high.  And I see the positives in having this disease wherever they are. Sometimes it’s like finding a needle in a haystack, but I do! But living knowing I'm affecting my husband’s life and the lives of many other people is tough.

I’m sorry I'm going to die and you will be alone. I’m sorry I got cancer and it hurts you too.  I’m sorry I’m not as good at working because I lose my memory and thought constantly. And mostly I'm sorry to myself, because I hoped I would be strong enough to follow the saying: “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never break me.”

I’m not broken. I won’t let this destroy me.  I will rise again, like I always do. And I will support my husband anyway I can through this, just as he supports me every day.

The simple moral to this story is that we all go through rough patches. But, think before you speak.  I haven’t had all my life circumstances yet, and I'm not sure what they all will be. But there really is so much good, even where there is so much bad.  Maybe we will adopt some day – just like my parents did – or maybe we will stumble across another option that is right for us.  I couldn’t imagine having a kid with everything that is going on right now. But for me, the loss of my fertility might have been my biggest loss.

Well, anyway, my apologizes for the not-so-uplifting post, but sometimes awareness is sharing your story in its entirety.  For me, sharing this part of metastatic breast cancer is probably the hardest. It is in these moments of living with cancer when it feels most real.  Many of us are so incredibly strong that it’s easy to look past these deeper struggles we face, and cope with, from time to time.

by Larissa Gionfriddo Podermanski, Metastatically Speaking, July 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Missing Mental Health Element in the Ferguson Story

By now, everyone has heard the news from Ferguson, Missouri.  An unarmed 18 year old named Michael Brown was shot and killed by a police officer.  Michael Brown was black. Some of the events surrounding the shooting are in dispute.  But what isn’t in dispute is that for the past two weeks, a community has been torn apart by race – a community that until recently was best known for its proximity to St. Louis and its designation as a Playful City, USA . Picture credit: Health Affairs Media reports since the August 9 th shooting have focused almost entirely on one angle – race relations.  We’ve heard about unrest in the city, the National Guard, police in riot gear, and danger in the streets.  We’ve heard about the District Attorney’s ties to law enforcement, and concerns that a too-white Grand Jury may be racially motivated not to indict the police officer involved in the deadly shooting. But the media have been strangely silent about a different angle – this comm

Veterans and Mental Illness

On a sultry June morning in our national’s capital last Friday, I visited the Vietnam Veterans Memorial .   Scores of people moved silently along the Wall, viewing the names of the men and women who died in that war.   Some stopped and took pictures.   One group of men about my age surrounded one name for a photo.   Two young women posed in front of another, perhaps a grandfather or great uncle they never got to meet. It is always an incredibly moving experience to visit the Wall.   It treats each of the people it memorializes with respect. There is no rank among those honored.   Officer or enlisted, rich or poor, each is given equal space and weight. It is a form of acknowledgement and respect for which many veterans still fight. Brave Vietnam veterans returned from Southeast Asia to educate our nation about the effects of war and violence. I didn’t know anything about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder when I entered the Connecticut Legislature in the late 1970s.   I had only vag

Celebrating Larissa Gionfriddo Podermanski Five Years Later

My daughter Larissa died of Metastatic Breast Cancer five years ago, in May of 2018.  She had only two wishes at the end. One was that we plant a tree for her. We did - in a Middletown CT city park - and it has grown straight and tall. The other was that she not be forgotten. Larissa's family and friends took pains to reassure that she could not be forgotten. If you were fortunate enough to know Larissa, you would know why. Still, I wondered how I might celebrate her a little more now that some years have passed, while sharing some of her memorable spirit with others (some who knew her and others who did not), while reminding us why she was such an extraordinary woman. In early 2017, Larissa started a blog called Metastatically Speaking, through which she chronicled her life with MBC. Unfortunately - and through no one's fault - her blog disappeared some time after her death. So, if you search for it now, you can't find it.  However, I was fortunate enough to see and retain