Skip to main content

Fare Well

 After 7+ years as President and CEO of Mental Health America, I retired on June 30, 2021.

During that time, MHA accomplished a lot. It changed the ways we think about mental health and mental illness.

We introduced our MHA screening program. It became the most successful early identification program ever, especially for children. Today, 10 million people have completed a free, anonymous screening with MHA and received targeted follow-up resources for their mental health. This number will grow by millions each year.

We created our B4Stage4 messaging frame.

Arguing that mental health conditions were the only chronic diseases that as a matter of public policy we waited until Stage 4 to treat, and then often inappropriately only through incarceration, we said we needed to act before Stage 4.

Local, national, and international partners helped us advance this frame and change the way we approach and treat serious mental health conditions – because all mental health conditions should be treated seriously.

We created a new focus on children’s mental health in our policy and media work. We put greater focus on workplace mental health through our Bell Seal program, which recognizes employers of any size for their commitment to mental health. We built our affiliate and associate network.

And we built partnerships promoting mental health with both traditional corporate partners in the health space and entities as diverse as Riot Games, the National Football League, Burger King, Netflix, and Hot Topic.  

Our collaborative work during 2020 with thirteen other major nonprofit organizations led to a unified vision – now endorsed by dozens of others – that lays out the essential pillars of a reformed and fully fleshed out system of mental health services and supports.

It is no secret that our existing mental health system has failed a lot of people during the half century. And while we have scaled some mountains these past few years, we have many more to go.

Climbing mountains can seem like a daunting, exhausting task. But as Muhammad Ali, paraphrasing an old quote, said, “it isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out, it’s the pebble in your shoe.”

Our progress has been impeded so many times by pebbles in our shoes – fractured constituencies, our own narrow perspectives and experiences, differences in pathways toward the same goal, even burdens of daily living. What I hope MHA’s recent successes have taught us is that sometimes, all we need to do to make progress is to remove the pebbles.

Clearly, I am proud of MHA’s accomplishments. And I will always take pride in my role in advancing the mental health advocacy field.

But I have also had my share of sadness and grief during these past seven years – my own pebbles in my shoe. I lost two adult children to illness – my daughter Larissa to cancer and my son Tim to schizophrenia.

So many of our sons and daughters have been taken from us. So many have been lost to illness and injury. So many others have been lost to bigotry, racism, and discriminatory policies and practices that advanced misery and suffering.

I say this because I am certain that in my 45 years of professional life, I sometimes had a hand in advancing misery. I may not have ever intended that. But no one can foresee the long-term consequences of every decision they make.

What we can do is learn from our decisions, our lived experiences, and the lived experiences of the people we remember.

From Larissa, I have learned to live – to shine and thrive (as she would put it) and find joy within pain.

From Tim, I learned to be patient with those who do not understand how to help. So long as they try, every mistake can be forgiven – as Tim forgave every mistake we made before he died.

Recently, I have tried to share these insights with others.

I wish the lessons of my professional life were more profound. I wish I had changed more of the world. I wish that I had influenced every life for the better.

And I wish that I had always understood just how profoundly important our mental health is to us all.

But I am satisfied that I have done my part and it is time for me to step back and let others lead in this mission. There are so many talented and compassionate people who will do that. I say to them in advance, thank you.

Take care, be well, stay safe, and always hope.

Paul Gionfriddo was a state legislator, mayor, nonprofit leader, and President and CEO of Mental Health America from 2014 until 2021. He is author of Losing Tim: How Our Health and Education Systems Failed My Son with Schizophrenia (Columbia University Press, 2014). He can be reached at gionfriddopaul@gmail.com.

Comments

  1. Mr. Gionfriddo, thank you for your leadership and service. There is no voice like the voice of “live experience,” to inject the realism necessary to understand both the expansiveness and intricacies of individuals and families that are challenged with serious mental illness. Today MHA, through many of the program that you had stewardship over, is a lifeline. I personally have been grateful for MHA’s commitment to going the peer support workforce. All the best,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Missing Mental Health Element in the Ferguson Story

By now, everyone has heard the news from Ferguson, Missouri.  An unarmed 18 year old named Michael Brown was shot and killed by a police officer.  Michael Brown was black. Some of the events surrounding the shooting are in dispute.  But what isn’t in dispute is that for the past two weeks, a community has been torn apart by race – a community that until recently was best known for its proximity to St. Louis and its designation as a Playful City, USA . Picture credit: Health Affairs Media reports since the August 9 th shooting have focused almost entirely on one angle – race relations.  We’ve heard about unrest in the city, the National Guard, police in riot gear, and danger in the streets.  We’ve heard about the District Attorney’s ties to law enforcement, and concerns that a too-white Grand Jury may be racially motivated not to indict the police officer involved in the deadly shooting. But the media have been strangely silent about a different angle – this comm

Veterans and Mental Illness

On a sultry June morning in our national’s capital last Friday, I visited the Vietnam Veterans Memorial .   Scores of people moved silently along the Wall, viewing the names of the men and women who died in that war.   Some stopped and took pictures.   One group of men about my age surrounded one name for a photo.   Two young women posed in front of another, perhaps a grandfather or great uncle they never got to meet. It is always an incredibly moving experience to visit the Wall.   It treats each of the people it memorializes with respect. There is no rank among those honored.   Officer or enlisted, rich or poor, each is given equal space and weight. It is a form of acknowledgement and respect for which many veterans still fight. Brave Vietnam veterans returned from Southeast Asia to educate our nation about the effects of war and violence. I didn’t know anything about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder when I entered the Connecticut Legislature in the late 1970s.   I had only vag

Celebrating Larissa Gionfriddo Podermanski Five Years Later

My daughter Larissa died of Metastatic Breast Cancer five years ago, in May of 2018.  She had only two wishes at the end. One was that we plant a tree for her. We did - in a Middletown CT city park - and it has grown straight and tall. The other was that she not be forgotten. Larissa's family and friends took pains to reassure that she could not be forgotten. If you were fortunate enough to know Larissa, you would know why. Still, I wondered how I might celebrate her a little more now that some years have passed, while sharing some of her memorable spirit with others (some who knew her and others who did not), while reminding us why she was such an extraordinary woman. In early 2017, Larissa started a blog called Metastatically Speaking, through which she chronicled her life with MBC. Unfortunately - and through no one's fault - her blog disappeared some time after her death. So, if you search for it now, you can't find it.  However, I was fortunate enough to see and retain