Skip to main content

Mental Health, America

I started writing Our Health Policy Matters three and a half years ago, right after the 2010 mid-term elections.

Since then, I have written about two policy areas about which I am passionate – public health and mental health.  As I explain below, I am about to change my professional focus.  And while I will be speaking about one more than the other in the future, for me these two areas are related. Let me explain why.

Mental health and public health are first and foremost about wellness.  They are about identifying risk factors for disease and eliminating or mitigating them.

Many of the same environmental risk factors contribute to poor health, especially poor mental health.  These include poverty, violence, abuse, and neglect.  When we address or mitigate these risk factors, we improve our nation’s health and mental health together.

We often place the burden of responsibility for maintaining one’s health squarely on the shoulders of individuals.  But this is a too-narrow approach.  We cannot prevent every physical illness by eating right and exercising, nor can we prevent every mental illness by simply willing it away.

What we forget sometimes is a simple, self-evident concept about wellness – the brain is a part of the body, and there is no health without mental health.

This leads to two unintended consequences.  The first is this.  In our effort to help people understand the linkage between mental illnesses and addictions, we use a term – behavioral health – that often implies to laypeople that these illnesses are bad behavior, and nothing more.  Mental illnesses therefore seem less serious than other chronic diseases – even though they shave twenty-five years or more from life expectancy.

The second is that we divide health care and mental health care into two non-integrated treatment systems.  We know the result.  Mental health care is poorly supported.  Our community support systems are inadequate.  People with serious mental illnesses are overrepresented in the homeless population.  Our jails and prisons have become our new state hospitals.

When we ignore the importance of promoting mental health and preventing mental illness and integrating care and treatment, we underestimate the power of recovery. 

Mental illnesses can be managed, just as any other chronic conditions can.  Recovery from cancer is possible – and even the norm for many – and so, too, should recovery be the norm for many mental illnesses.

When do not put resources into prevention, integrated care, and recovery, we make mistakes.  Because mental illness is often a childhood disease and there is a long lead time between the emergence of symptoms and the receipt of appropriate care, we make two mistakes in particular.  We overburden both our educational and primary care systems.

Our educators never expected to confront – as first-line responders – such needs in their classrooms.  Our primary care providers never expected to become experts in the early identification of mental illnesses.  Yet half of mental illnesses appear by age 14, and the vast majority of medications for mental illness are prescribed by primary care providers.

This system leads to failure.  I have explained why in other columns, and in an essay I wrote in 2012 for Health Affairs.  And I have written a book about the subject – Losing Tim – that will be published by Columbia University Press in the fall of this year.

But now I have been offered an extraordinary opportunity to do something more.

In a few weeks, I will become President and CEO of Mental Health America.

MHA is a Washington, D.C. area group that has advocated for mental health for over a century.  With 228 local affiliates scattered around the nation, MHA has an extraordinary history of leadership in the modern mental health movement in America – one that I hope to continue.

I am already part of an MHA family.  My wife Pam is, and will remain, CEO of the MHA Palm Beach County affiliate – the Mental Health Association of Palm Beach County.  And my daughter Lizzie works in direct services for the MHA affiliate in Connecticut, the Mental Health Association of Connecticut.

But my professional life is about to change.  For now, this will be my last Our Health Policy Matters column. 

I’ve appreciated the platform this column has given me, and hope that I have used it responsibly.  And I’m grateful to the thousands of readers who have come to this site each month.


I hope our paths will cross often in the future.  And I hope that when you think about Mental Health America, you will always think about mental health, America.  And about the work we still need to do to make mental health the norm for everyone.

Paul Gionfriddo via email: gionfriddopaul@gmail.com.  Twitter: @pgionfriddo.  Facebook: www.facebook.com/paul.gionfriddo.  LinkedIn:  www.linkedin.com/in/paulgionfriddo/

Comments

  1. Wishing you the best Paul. My students will miss reading your column (as will I).

    Barbara Jacobowitz
    Chair of Health Services Administration Program
    Keiser University - West Palm Beach

    ReplyDelete
  2. The subject of a very special thank you for this information
    This site is really worth more than one visit

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Missing Mental Health Element in the Ferguson Story

By now, everyone has heard the news from Ferguson, Missouri.  An unarmed 18 year old named Michael Brown was shot and killed by a police officer.  Michael Brown was black. Some of the events surrounding the shooting are in dispute.  But what isn’t in dispute is that for the past two weeks, a community has been torn apart by race – a community that until recently was best known for its proximity to St. Louis and its designation as a Playful City, USA . Picture credit: Health Affairs Media reports since the August 9 th shooting have focused almost entirely on one angle – race relations.  We’ve heard about unrest in the city, the National Guard, police in riot gear, and danger in the streets.  We’ve heard about the District Attorney’s ties to law enforcement, and concerns that a too-white Grand Jury may be racially motivated not to indict the police officer involved in the deadly shooting. But the media have been strangely silent about a different angle – this comm

Celebrating Larissa Gionfriddo Podermanski Five Years Later

My daughter Larissa died of Metastatic Breast Cancer five years ago, in May of 2018.  She had only two wishes at the end. One was that we plant a tree for her. We did - in a Middletown CT city park - and it has grown straight and tall. The other was that she not be forgotten. Larissa's family and friends took pains to reassure that she could not be forgotten. If you were fortunate enough to know Larissa, you would know why. Still, I wondered how I might celebrate her a little more now that some years have passed, while sharing some of her memorable spirit with others (some who knew her and others who did not), while reminding us why she was such an extraordinary woman. In early 2017, Larissa started a blog called Metastatically Speaking, through which she chronicled her life with MBC. Unfortunately - and through no one's fault - her blog disappeared some time after her death. So, if you search for it now, you can't find it.  However, I was fortunate enough to see and retain

Judgment Day

Ironic. I was not as nervous as you would think on April 23 rd .  Martin, my mother and I drove up to Dana Farber.  All weekend I wanted plan for Poland, Barbados and Florida, as we brainstormed ideas of what could be attainable or possible. I started to realize I looked pregnant… but that couldn’t be. When the appointment began I noticed it felt like a routine visit. Everything went smoothly, but what were we focusing on? It was this: if I did nothing the outlook for me was living three weeks to a few months longer. So, is that my only option, I wanted to know?   No, I was told we can try a low dose chemo and see how it works.   Since it is low dose, they said, it won’t do much harm, but we truly don’t know how it will work. It’s not a treatment we have used a lot at low dose and technically you are in liver failure, leaving you with limited options.   Of course, the goal would still be to get you to be stable; however, this is a blind treatment. We don’t know if this approach w